Diet and breast cancer risk
It is very important for women to keep their breasts healthy and in good shape. Various researches have shown that in many cases breast cancer can be avoided or at least the risk of it can be mitigated a lot by following the proper diet. That is why you have to pay more attention to the food you are consuming daily. Choosing the right eating plan will not only improve the shape and outlook of your body and breasts but will also bring a lot of benefits for your health.
Can diet help prevent breast cancer?
The diet and the foods you eat are partially responsible for the development of all types of cancer – between 30% and 40%. Diet alone cannot be the “cause” or “cure” of cancer. There is scientific evidence that following breast cancer prevention diet rich in fruits, vegetables, and fibre, combined with physical activity, can reduce the risk of breast cancer or disease recurrence.
There is no food or diet to protect you from breast cancer. However, some foods support the immune system and thus reduce the risk of disease. There is no evidence of foods or diets that cure cancer, but some help to better deal with side effects and speed up the body’s recovery. Some foods may support the effectiveness of treatment. Others can be dangerous, to interact with medications, and slow down the recovery.
Maintaining a healthy weight also reduces the risk of breast cancer recurrence. Clinical studies have shown that women who are overweight have a higher risk of relapse after treatment.
Another method for the prevention of breast cancer that is very useful is breast massage. It is scientifically proven that breasts store a lot of unhealthy chemical wastes. The massage helps to flush out these toxins and restore the balance in your body. Medical checkups are also important for maintaining good health. Do them regularly in order to ensure that your breasts and body are in top shape.
Cancer prevention food
As we already said, it is vital to know what type of diet is good for your body. And what properties does a certain food have? For example, fruits such as banana and orange boost the immune system, make the skin look younger, and can even prevent cancer development. The same thing goes for whole grains, carrots, and green vegetables that contain high levels of vitamin C. So, you should definitely include these foods in your daily eating regime.
Of course, fruits and vegetables are not the only nutrition your body needs. Some healthy fats could also be vital for the breasts. Among them is the coconut oil as well as different nuts. Wholegrain porridges are also very useful for women‘s hormone health. And something else that you may not know. White and green tea contains a lot of antioxidants. Drinking them every day will certainly help your mission to maintain healthy and good-shaped breasts.
Nutritionists are convinced that a varied diet provides the body with various substances important for its proper functioning, which complement each other and lead to health benefits. It is recommended not to emphasize one or two products too much, but to have a variety of foods. Experts believe that a diet rich in plant products provides optimal amounts of nutrients.
Some of the anti-cancer foods which you should add to your daily menu include:
- Soy. Soy has definitely been shown to decrease the risk of getting breast cancer and increasing the survival rate if you are diagnosed with breast cancer. In fact, studies show half a cup of tofu or soy milk a day can decrease your risk of breast cancer by 30%.
- Cruciferous vegetables. When we are talking about breast cancer cruciferous vegetables really make a difference. These are things like broccoli, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, kale, collard greens. All of these green vegetables are so good for you. Health experts recommend having some sort of cruciferous vegetables every to lower your risk for breast cancer. These vegetables contain a component called Sephora Fame and what that does is it suppresses the ability of the breast cancer stem cells to form into tumours. Also, they are rich in antioxidants and fibres, which makes them valuable tools against cancer.
Cancer foods to avoid
On the other hand, there are foods that you should try to avoid or at least consume rarely. We are talking about pesticide, commercial meat, and dairy products. They cause malfunction of your hormonal system and they are one of the main reasons for breast cancer. Harmful for the normal cells in your body are also the caffeine products and, of course, the cigarettes. That is why you have to get rid of your bad habits in order to remain a strong and healthy body.
Foods for cancer patients to avoid:
- Eat less than 18 ounces of red meat each week;
- Try to stay away from processed meats such as bacon, sausages, hot dogs, deli meats;
- Try to have no more than 1 teaspoon of salt a day;
- Choose non-sugary drinks like water. Avoid sodas, fruit juice, and drinks with added sugar;
- Limit candy, cookies, chips, and fast foods;
- Do not drink alcohol.
However, we have to say that it is impossible to keep all the unhealthy substances out of your body. You know that you could get them even when cleaning with a chemical detergent, don‘t you? For that reason, you should consume foods containing vitamins and ingredients that can eliminate their harmful effect. Like we already mentioned, foods and vegetables have to be the main part of your healthy eating regime. Natural plant-based foods are able to fight carcinogens and reduce the risk of serious health problems.
Energy food for cancer patients
Have you ever thought about food as medicine? have you ever wondered which food fights cancer? A healthy diet can actually fight disease. We know it cannot be a cure but it may help patients undergoing breast cancer treatment.
After the diagnosis of breast cancer, many women start to analyze their existing diet and start to explore the role that their daily meals may play in their recovery and their general well-being. Some of the questions they may have are how to eat well, what is the best diet for cancer patients and is there any fight cancer food. Your nutritional status has a huge impact on the strength of your immune system, your hormone functioning, your mood, and your energy levels There are some typical foods you should be eating daily and these include:
- Tomatoes. They not only taste great but they also have cancer fighters called lycopene and beta crypto xanthine. Cooked tomatoes actually can cut cancer risk in women. It turns out that the most powerful tomato in terms of cancer-fighting nutrients is the San Marzano tomato from Italy and if you cook it in olive oil you can actually boost its power.
- Apples. The red delicious and granny smith apples are two kinds with the highest concentrations of cancer-fighting polyphenols and compare to many other apples. Studies have shown that eating one medium-sized apple a day can reduce the risk of cancer.
- Onions. Onions are packed with natural cancer fighters called flavonoids. The red onion contains a natural dye called anthocyanin that fights cancer cells. You definitely have to include it in your anti-cancer diet.
- Fruits for cancer patients. Studies indicate that the polyphenols found in plumps and peaches can help prevent breast cancer cell formation and keep them from multiplying. Evidence suggests that polyphenols help kill the cancer cells, without harming healthy cells.
Keep in mind that there is no magic bullet, there are no magic foods to fight cancer, it is really about the totality of your environment diet, and lifestyle.
Main recommendations of nutritionists
- Keep your weight within a healthy range.
- Eat enough and varied fruits and vegetables – at least 5 cups a day.
- Reduce your intake of saturated fatty acids to less than 10% of your daily calorie intake, and the total amount of fat should not exceed 30 g per day.
- Eat foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids.
- Avoid the intake of trans fatty acids contained in many processed products, meats, smoked sausages, fish, cheese, chips, sweets. You can replace them with low-fat milk, or soybean-based products.
When preparing your diet, it is best to consult a specialist. The nutritionist can make a complete assessment by combining your health, balanced diet, and the weight you need to achieve or maintain. Your individual diet is key. Don’t rely too much on the internet and other media sources. Every organism is different and the personalized approach is the most correct.
When you choose your eating plan well, it will pay off – in more ways than you might think. As Hippocrates said, “Let medicine be your food and food be your medicine”. While on the topic of food, make sure to check our foods for breast enlargement article.