Breast augmentation is a procedure that can improve the balance of your body and of course, your self-esteem. However, it is primarily surgery, so you need to feel safe and satisfied in the hands of your surgeon and know what awaits you. Before deciding to have breast augmentation surgery it is important to learn as much as possible about the process and understand how to best prepare for this procedure. To help you with that, we put together this simple guide on how to prepare for breast augmentation.
- 1 What do I need to do before getting a boob job?
- 2 What should I do two weeks before breast augmentation?
- 3 What do I need to buy before breast augmentation?
- 4 What do you need to do right before breast augmentation surgery?
- 5 Conclusion
What do I need to do before getting a boob job?
The most important thing that you need to do before getting this surgery is to find a well-experienced and board-certified plastic surgeon and book an appointment with him/her. Once you have it done, it is time to make some important decisions such as how much you want to enlarge your bust, what type of implant you prefer and so on.
Choose a good surgeon
As we mentioned, one of the most essential steps is to find a provider with whom you will really feel good. However, this process can be difficult. Meticulous research is essential if you want to be met with a talented doctor who has years of experience in this filed. We’ve done the initial research for you and compiled a list of some of the premium breast augmentation clinics and surgeons in Singapore.
We encourage you to ask friends or people who have had breast augmentation, make a research on the internet, check reviews from previous patients and meet with a few surgeons before making a final decision.
The doctor should be board-certified and have enough experience in the area of this plastic surgery. You definitely should see before and after photos of your chosen surgeon’s work. Consistent beautiful results let you know what to expect from the look that you want. Your surgeon should meet with you in person, discuss everything with you, examine you and determine if you are a good candidate for this procedure.
How do I prepare for a breast augmentation consultation?
Give yourself an appropriate amount of time to get ready for your initial consultation – you can’t make the right decision if you are in a hurry. So start with the preparation earlier and take your time. Make a list of questions that you want to ask your doctor and collect some photos with breasts that you like. This way you will give the surgeon a better idea of what is your desired breast size and shape. Be completely honest about what you want to achieve with the procedure. Some women want their new bust to look completely different and bigger. At the same time, you may want more natural results and just to restore the fullness of your breast. It will be useful for you to have the surgeon explain what can be achieved with your body and your own breast tissue, to give you advice and recommendations.
Write down your questions
This meeting is your opportunity to address unanswered questions, topics and concerns that you may have about the procedure. Here are some things you may want to ask the surgeon:
- How many operations have you performed?
- What type of breast implants do you use and why?
- How long does the recovery last?
- Will I be able to go to work?
- How soon can I have surgery?
- How long is the downtime?
- Will I have visible scars and how big they will be?
- How long do the implants last?
- What are the side effects of the surgery and is there any risk from the anaesthesia?
- What will happen if I get pregnant and will I be able to breastfeed?
Finally, don’t forget to ask about the total cost for your procedure and how your plastic surgeon will plan for your post-op care.
And don’t worry if you change your mind at the last moment. This is your body and the choice is yours – make sure you feel 100% good with your doctor, with his/her advice, actions and the conditions.
Make a decision
Changing your bust can really change your life. This is serious plastic surgery, so you need to be sure that this is what you want.
What should I do two weeks before breast augmentation?
To make your preparation process easier follow these steps:
- Stop taking any medications that contain aspirin as well as blood thinners supplements such as vitamin E, fish oil and so on. They can cause extra bruising or bleeding during surgery.
- Stop smoking. Nicotine may have a negative impact on your healing as t slows down the blood circulation. It may cause unpleasant infections and complications. So you must stop smoking at least two weeks before your surgery.
- Buy all items you need and arrange your transport before and after the surgery. You may be excited and anxious during the day, so it’s a good idea to make some arrangements and preparation in advance. Prepare everything you will need for a short stay in the hospital (your laptop, post-surgical bra, toiletries), and arrange someone (friend, family member) to care for you in the first 24 hours and when you get home.
- Check again when you need to arrive and if all payments are completed.
One week before surgery
- You need to make sure that you and your family are ready for your hospital stay and recovery after the procedure.
- Also, it is good to clean your home because you are not going to be able to do it after your surgery.
- Stop drinking alcohol as it can thin your blood and slow down the healing process.
- Do your grocery shopping and stock the fridge. Pick up some food that is going to be beneficial for you during the recovery time. It will be better if you buy things that are easy to eat. Meal planning and preparing will be also really helpful.
What do I need to buy before breast augmentation?
Here is a list of things that are recommended to buy before you go into surgery:
- Antibacterial soap and wet wipes. You need to make sure your body is free of any bacterial or infection before surgery.
- Pain medication, vitamins and supplements that have been prescribed by your doctor. He/she will give you instructions and recommendations about the medications you will need.
- Ice pack gel compresses. These will help with the swelling after surgery. Most patients prefer the gel versions as these are more comfortable.
- Post-surgical bra and comfortable clothing. You will definitely need them after surgery. It is better to pick up pyjama that has buttons on the front as well as a sweatshirt with zipping on the front.
- A back pillow or neck pillow. They will help keep you comfortable while you are sleeping or sitting in bed.
- Heat pack. You will need to sleep in an upright position and that can put a lot of pressure to your lower back. Heat pack will help you relieve this pain.
- Lip moisturizer. After such plastic surgery, your lips can be very dry especially if you are under general anesthesia.
- Don’t forget to buy some extra toiletry such as toothpaste, shampoo, toilet paper and so on.
- You may also want to buy some books or your favourite magazines that will keep you busy while you recover from the operation.
It is good to purchase all items one or two weeks before your surgery so you won’t hurry at the last minute.
What do you need to do right before breast augmentation surgery?
Planning ahead and making the necessary arrangements will ensure a calmer recovery. Here are some helpful tips on how to prepare for breast augmentation!
One day before the operation
- Try to eat early dinner and make sure it is light food. Remember, you shouldn’t eat or drink anything after midnight.
- It’s might be hard but try to relax and to be not nervous about your surgery.
- Make sure you organize your post-up space and everything is set up so when you go home you can just rest after your surgery.
- Double-check your breast augmentation preparation list.
- Do set your alarm so that you have plenty of time to get up and get things organized. The last thing you need is a rush-hour headache.
Day of the operation
- Take a shower and shave your armpits. Do not put any deodorants or moisturizer on your skin.
- Do not wear makeup or jewellery. In case you wear contact lenses do not wear them the day of the procedure. Instead of them, wear your glasses.
- Wear comfortable clothing and shoes that are easy to slip on and off.
- Bring all medications with you.
Breast augmentation surgery is a great way to add fullness to your breasts, improve their shape and appearance. And we know your results are something you look forward to. However, in order to get the best outcomes and make your life easier, you need to prepare for breast enlargement in advance. The more organized you are the less stress or anxiety you will face on the day of your surgery and during your recovery.